Your children are a gift from God. They deserve certain things from you. The principles you live by and the blessings you enjoy are meant to be passed on to your children. Expressing your heart of love to say you are proud of them will also make them be proud of you. You need to be a blessing to your children by blessing them at every possible opportunity. The Bible says, “Children are a gift from the Lord.” (Psalm 127:3) What are those things your children deserve from you? Here are 6 things they deserve from you:
- Time: You need to prioritize your time. If your life is ruled by a schedule and your are not on it, you need to do something about it quickly. Otherwise a day will come when you will not be included in their schedule.
- Openness: There is so much that your children can teach you about themselves, and about their parents. They observe your lifestyle. Do you know that God can use them to speak to you? That’s when yo become open to them. That’s why you need to teach them the way of the Lord because a time will come that they will give you rest of mind.
- Structure: It is so vital to establish rules and maintain boundaries. Children need guidelines and a framework to feel secure. For instance, in the early years this includes things like having an established bedtime, then moving it back as they get older. This helps them understand that age brings freedom, but not at once, because freedom brings responsibility and they are not as ready to handle as they think.
- Forgive Them, and be willing to ask for their forgiveness: By doing this you are teaching them three things:
- You make them know how to deal with the consequences of their actions.
- You let them know that failing doesn’t make them a failure. It is just part of learning and maturing.
- Lastly, you let them understand that they should be quick to extend to others the same grace that has been extended to us.
- Encouragement: Your words of encouragement make a great impact in the lives of your children. Before you begin to firing them, try firing them up! Help them to grow than destroying them with discouraging words.
- Blessing: Bless them so that they will be a source of blessings to you and others. Don’t curse them. Pray for them. Intercede for them. If what you are doing is taking you away from prayer time for your children, your priorities are wrong.
In summary, the six things your children deserve from you are:
What other things do children deserve that are not listed here?
Channel of Virtue is a platform dedicated to raise and nurture godly families. Subscribe to this blog to receive updates in your email and join us on Facebook.