Marriage is like a journey that presents different kinds of surprises. It might be pleasant or painful. Nevertheless, you can make this journey successful depending on how you deal with those ups and downs.
The husband and his wife are two personalities with different backgrounds. No matter how sweet or let me say how happily the marriage is, there will still be misunderstandings.
Therefore, one of the most essential skills in marriage is the ability to resolve disagreements in a loving way.
When there is a misunderstanding and you need to settle it, what are those things you need to do?
There are 8 things you need to do when you need to discuss a problem.
- Schedule a time when none of you is tired.
- Avoid criticizing and be positive toward each other.
- Avoid interrupting. Take turns listening and talking.
- Acknowledge your spouse’s feelings.
- Express empathy for each other, even when you disagree.
- Be reasonable and flexible.
- Humbly apologize when you are at fault.
- Express appreciation and affection.
Doing this will make your marriage an extraordinary one that will serve as a role model for your children to follow.
I will like you to reflect on these questions:
- What do I need to work on most in my marriage?
- Is my marriage and lifestyle serving as role model for my children.
- What steps will I take to do this?
Remember that when your home is not in order, your children are also affected psychologically in all aspects. They will not be happy. Settle all disputes to enjoy a happy home.
Do you have other ideas or tips on how couples can settle their misunderstanding?