Emotion occurs suddenly and involuntarily. We do not think of emotion rather we feel emotion. For instance we feel afraid but do not think afraid.
So, what is the definition of Emotion?
An emotion may be defined as a complex feeling or experience that involves diffuse physiological changes and characterized behaviour patterns.
We can also defined emotion as internal state of person characterized by specific cognition, sensation, physiological reactions and expressive behaviour tending to appear suddenly and difficult to control.
Emotion as an internal state suggests that it cannot be observed or measured, even though they are triggered off by outside events.
Emotion is persistent and has widespread effect on the whole structure of we human beings. It may remain with us for long even after the cause of it has disappeared. Also when one is angry, one tends to become angrier at the least provocation.
Types of Emotion
Emotion can be categorized as pleasant and unpleasant.
- Pleasant emotions are positive and satisfactory feelings. They are experienced at a particular time. These include joy, happiness, delight, elation, affection, pleasure etc.
- The unpleasant emotions are the negative and unsatisfactory feelings, which are experienced at a particular time. Unpleasant emotion include anger, aggression, anxiety, jealousy etc.
What You Should Know
The pleasant emotion is what is expected in every family. This will help keep your family together. You should not let your mood affects your family members negatively. Learn to control your emotions.
Having a pleasant emotion makes marriage work out fine and eventually builds your relationship.
Your emotion, been pleasant, goes a long way to save your marriage from destructive behaviours. You must try to be in pleasant mood always even if you are going through something unpleasant known to you alone.
Being moody everytime makes you look older and uglier. So if you don’t want to look 2X older than your age nor look ugly, let your emotional expression be pleasant to others around you.
Even, parents need to be in pleasant mood for their children to share their lives with them than with outsiders who possessed it. No child will approach a frown-looking and moody parent.
Your happiness brings about the happiness of your children. Parents who are not happy will make their children unhappy also. They will feel the same way. They might want to know what’s going wrong that makes you look sad. The aggressive parent would shout at the child that wanted to know, while the understanding parent would either try to change his mood and look happy or simply explains.
How Is Emotion Expressed?
Emotion can be expressed in different modes. These include:
- Language: we use language to show anger, happiness, depression etc. Your language or utterances determine your mood. The way an angry person speaks is different from a joyful person. Therefore, mind your utterances.
- Gesticulation: we express our emotions with the use of the body, hand, and other parts of the body.
- Facial expression by sign. Your mood can be seen on your face.
Therefore, expressing the pleasant emotion will not only make your family happy, but help your children have a good relationship with you.