I observed that most of our youths struggle with uncertainties about their appearance and their abilities, as well as how they measure up to others.
Is it the faults of their parents or perhaps, peer pressure?
Can we say it’s their backgrounds?
Here’s what some of them said:
“My weaknesses makes me to feel down. I am my own worst critic. What can I do?”
“I am so conscious of myself when am around others dressing more than me. It makes me feel somehow uncomfortable. How can I cope to or what can I do to boost my self-confidence?”
Listen to me, I will like you to answer the following questions which will help you know more about self-confidence:
- When you look in the mirror, do you like what you see?
- Do you feel that you have praiseworthy skills?
- Are you able to stand up to peer pressure?
- Can you accept valid criticism?
- Can you handle unfair remarks others make about you?
- Do you feel loved?
- Do you take care of yourself?
- Are you happy for others when they succeed?
- Do you generally view yourself as successful?
- Do you believe in yourself?
If your answers to some of the questions is NO, it may be that you have overpowered your strengths with low self-confidence or low self-esteem.
Did you know that, How you view yourself can affect the way others view you? Also it affects how they treat you.
Tips on How to Boost Your Self Confidence
Here is how to boost your confidence:
1. Help others who need your help: This will help you use your strengths. When you help others, you help yourself.
When I was an undergraduate, I helped my colleagues by teaching them what they didn’t understand in class. That helped me also. I could remember what I explained to them during exams.
If you want to be rich, make others rich.
Please don’t help others solely for the purpose of getting something in return.
2. Make Friends: The Bible says, “A true friend loves at all time….” (Proverbs 17:17).
Choose the right friends who value you. Those who can support you in time of adversity. The person that can lift you up when going down. Choose real friends. Don’t be around those that will mock you but those who will make you be the best God wants.
3. Learn From Your Mistakes: You are not 100% perfect. It’s normal to make mistakes but you must learn from it than making such mistake again. Control how you react when you make mistakes.
4. Don’t Compare Yourself with Others: Sometimes low self-esteem results when you compare your weakness to another person’s strength. Everyone of us has good and bad qualities.
You should be proud of the good qualities you have and work on the bad ones.
5. Value Yourself: It is very important to value yourself. Know who you are. Don’t look down on yourself. You worth more than you think.
In summary, you can boost your confidence by:
- Assisting others who need your help.
- Make the right friends who will build you.
- Learn from your mistakes.
- Value yourself
Why do young people especially lack confidence?
Have you experienced low self-esteem before and how did you get over it?
Why is it important to have a healthy degree of self-respect?
What do you think?